College Scholarship Search College Search Career Exploration College Admissions Articles Financial Aid and Student Loan Calculators Compare Student Loans

General Information

Name Postsecondary Education Gratuity Program
Number of Awards
Award Value
Award Type Merit-Based Scholarship
Accept Applications Until March 31
Scholarship Links More Information

Contact Information

Contact Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency
PA State Grants and Special Programs
1200 N 7th St
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17102
Phone (800)692-7392

Scholarship Description

This program honors individuals who lost their lives protecting the citizens of this Commonwealth by providing their children with a waiver of tuition, fees, and room and board charges. An act was signed into law that provides financial assistance to children of Pennsylvania police officers, firefighters, rescue or ambulance squad members, corrections facility employees or National Guard members who died in the line of duty after January 1, 1976.

On November 30, 2004, the Governor signed into law an amendment to this Act, to also include sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, National Guard members and certain other individuals who are on federal or state active military duty, are Pennsylvania residents, and who died in the line of duty since September 11, 2001.

This program provides a waiver of tuition, fees, and room and board costs charged by public postsecondary institutions. This waiver is only applied to charges that remain after all other grants (federal, state and outside scholarships) have been applied to your student account.

To qualify you must:
* Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
* Be a child by birth or adoption of a deceased police officer, firefighter, rescue or ambulance squad member, corrections facility employee or active National Guard member who died as a direct result of performing his or her official duties.
* Be 25 years of age or younger at the time of application for the program
* Have already applied for available scholarships, as well as state and federal grants, and have provided a record of application for financial aid to the postsecondary institution to which application is made.
* Be enrolled at a Pennsylvania community college, state-owned institution, or state-related institution as a full-time student pursuing undergraduate studies that will lead to an associate or baccalaureate degree.